Tuesday, November 22, 2011

No Mercy - Widespread Bloodshed - Love Runs Red

No Mercy were a thrash/crossover band mostly active in the mid-1980's. Hailing from Venice, California they shared members and compilation space with, you guessed it, Suicidal Tendencies.

It should be said that, Suicidal Tendencies is probably the band most responsible for the musical directions my life (and thus this blog) has taken since I began seeking out music on my own.

Originally featuring a different singer (with whom they recorded compilation tracks with), Mike Muir eventually joined when the original singer departed and they recorded this debut (and lone) full length which was released on Muir's Suicidal Records (which had also released the Welcome to Venice comp. which featured older No Mercy tracks).

The songs certainly show their age, in a good way, with heavy riffs that have just the right amount of crunch to give it what I consider that perfect 80's crossover sound of almost metallic punk/hardcore. This is the way Suicidal's "Join the Army" should have sounded - NOTE: I love Join the Army, but the record defanitely has a slower pace that almost frustrates me at times when I think of how those songs would have sounded if they had been more in line with the "Controlled By Hatred/Feel Like Shit" EP's.

Speaking of the 'Controlled/Feel' EP's, the No Mercy album is the bridge in the gap from the stellar "How Will I Laugh Tomorrow..." lp and said ep's. By the time Suicidal Tendencies would release the double ep No Mercy had folded and No Mercy founder/guitarist, Mike Clark had joined ST. Suicidal began playing and recorded No Mercy tracks Waking the Dead, Controlled By Hatred, Master of No Mercy, and My Own Way of Life.

Enjoy a fairly underrated crossover classic. And should it motivate you, feel free to find Suicidal Tendencies' "How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can't Even Smile Today" and "Controlled By Hatred/Feel Like Shit... Deja Vu"; as well as Excel's "Split Image" & "Joke's On You". Nostalgic skater childhood in full effect.

DOWNLOAD: No Mercy - Widespread Bloodshed - Love Runs Red

3 comments:

  1. What a great choice. I already have it, but gotta compliment your good taste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing forgotten record. I remember borrowing this from a friend and putting it on tape. I've been looking for it for a long time.

    That said, I like Join The Army just the way it is. It was a hybrid. ST on their way from hardcore punk to metal. JTA was the record of their metamorphosis. Still a punk record in many respects. It was that middle ground that made it special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here you go O.G. No Mercy tracks 1-9. No pop's, click's, good volume, tweets, and 320. Your Welcome.

    http://www13.zippyshare.com/v/32773564/file.html

    ReplyDelete